Embrace the madness.
Making up for the lack of a tournament in 2020, the 2021 NCAA Tournament is now, officially, madness, with UCLA’s shocking 51-49 downing of No. 1 seed Michigan on Tuesday night penning a chapter in the history books:
DECOURCY: This is new for UCLA, but they won’t turn it down
The NCAA defines an upset as five seed lines or more between teams. UCLA’s win became the 14th upset in the tournament this March, the Bruins themselves accounting for three of those upsets on their way to the Final Four.
- No. 15 Oral Roberts over No. 2 Ohio State (Round 1)
- No. 11 Syracuse over No. 6 San Diego State (Round 1)
- No. 12 Oregon State over No. 5 Tennessee (Round 1)
- No. 13 Ohio over No. 4 Virginia (Round 1)
- No. 13 North Texas over No. 4 Purdue (Round 1)
- No. 14 Abilene Christian over No. 3 Texas (Round 1)
- No. 11 UCLA over No. 6 BYU (Round 1)
- No. 8 Loyola Chicago over No. 1 Illinois (Round 2)
- No. 11 Syracuse over No. 3 West Virginia (Round 2)
- No. 15 Oral Roberts over No. 7 Florida (Round 2)
- No. 13 Oregon State over No. 4 Oklahoma State (Round 2)
- No. 7 Oregon over No. 2 Iowa (Round 2)
- No. 11 UCLA over No. 2 Alabama (Sweet 16)
As expected, there are no more perfect brackets left in the country, a fact that came some days ago — the Maryland-UConn matchup proving to be the straw that broke the bracket’s back.
The Bruins were a First Four team, facing off and defeating Michigan State in one of the opening two matchups of the tournament. The state of Michigan weeps. Now, No. 11 UCLA advances to the Final Four to face No. 1 Gonzaga on Saturday for a chance at more madness.
As a wise man once said (several times): This is March.
Mark Kleinman is city editor, breaking major business stories and analysing what they mean for the financial sector.
He has revealed some of the biggest stories in the city in the past decade, with a string of exclusives about major takeover deals.
Before joining Sky, he was City Editor of The Sunday Telegraph.
Mark was awarded the London Press Club Business Journalist of the Year in 2011.